Interior of the Church of the Carmelite Friary

Artist(s) : George Petrie (Draughtsman), J. Rogers (Engraver)

Interior of the Church of the Carmelite Friary, York Row, now known as the Whitefriars Road Church. This view from the back of the church, in which a congregation kneels in prayer during a service, emphasizes the lofty, elongated character of the architecture. The ceiling is coved and compartmented. Statues occupy the niches along the left side and to either side of the altar. Eight of the church's sixteen windows are seen on the right (southern) side. Behind the altar is a crucifixion scene. It is flanked by fluted columns supporting a ceiling and embellished with a canopy and drapes. The priest is standing before the altar, with two altar-boys kneeling just behind him. The congregation kneels in pews at the front or on the bare floor at the back. Two men are standing, one on crutches, as is a child beside a kneeling woman. Another woman is semi-prostrate. The bowed heads and extremely reverential attitudes suggest that the moment chosen by the artist may be the consecration of the eucharist, during mass.

This print appeared in George Newenham Wright et al., Ireland Illustrated (1831), together with a view of the exterior ('The Church of the Carmelite Friary, York Row'), and a comment on sublime feelings. It was also published in W.F. Wakeman’s Dublin Delineated (1831), and in The Gallery of Engravings (1843), this time with unfavorable Protestant comment on its religious aspects (p. 121).
Miss Hammill incorporated this print in her diary of travels in Wales and Ireland (1828-1829). It is cropped and lacks the dedication to the Reverend J. Spratt found below the title of the plate in Ireland Illustrated and Dublin Delineated. In Ireland Illustrated it also lacks a date, since when the views are horizontal only the upper one is dated (MacDowel Cosgrave, p. 47). It may be assumed that this plate, like the dated ones, was published by ‘Fisher, Son & Co., London’ in 1828.

Sources:
Rosalind M. Elmes and Michael Hewson, Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings (Dublin: Malton Press for the National Library of Ireland Society, 1975).
Dublin Delineated (Dublin: W.F. Wakeman, 1831).
E. MacDowel Cosgrave, ‘A Contribution Towards a Catalogue of Nineteenth-Century Engravings of Dublin (Continued)', The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Fifth series, vol. 37, no. 1 (March 31, 1907), 41-60.
George Newenham Wright, Ireland illustrated: from original drawings by Geo. Petrie, W.H. Bartlett, T.M. Baynes and others (London: H. Fisher, Son, and Jackson, 1831).

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – Geo. Petrie Esq. R.H.A.
    J. Rogers
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Interior of the Church of the Carmelite Friary.

Image Details

Genre Genre painting
Technique Engravings
Subject(s) Architecture, Manners and customs
Geographical Location
  • Whitefriars Road - Named locality
  • Dublin - Town or city
  • Dublin - County
  • Leinster - Province
Keywords(s) Altars, Buildings, Children, Churches, Crosses, Interiors, People, Prayer, Sculpture, Windows, Women
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 10.4 cm x 15.5 cm
Published / created 1828

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Diary of travels in Wales and Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy opp. p. 22
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 34,290/1
Alternative source

This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000188894#page/1/mode/1up
Permalink
Rights National Library of Ireland
Interior of the Church of the Carmelite Friary