Shelton Abbey (Wicklow) Ireland
View of the front of Shelton Abbey, on the north bank of the Avoca near Arklow. It also features two figures and a dog to the left, and two other figures near the entrance.
Shelton Abbey was built in 1770 on the site of an earlier house, and altered in 1819. It was the seat of the Earl of Wicklow, designed in the ‘Abbey style', to resemble a fourteenth-century monastic settlement converted into a baronial hall.
This image was inserted by Miss Hammill into her manuscript diary of her travels in Wales and Ireland (1828-1829). It closely resembles but is not identical to the illustration by John Preston Neale and William Radclyffe which appeared in John Preston Neale and Thomas Moule, Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, Vol. 1 (1822).
A Guide to the County of Wicklow: Illustrated by Engravings, After the Designs of George Petrie, Esq. (London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1822), p. 81.
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, at http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/, registration no. 16404005. Accessed 13.04.2018.
Quarterly Magazine, Vol. 1, p. 352.
John Preston Neale and Thomas Moule, Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, Vol. 1 (London: Sherwood, Nealy & Jones, 1822).
Inscribed in Image
Drawn by J.P. Neale / Engraved by W. Radclyffe.
Caption outside of boundaries of image –
Shelton Abbey, (Wicklow) Ireland.
Related text from travel account
|Shelton Abbey the seat of the Earl of Wicklow is situated on the northern bank of the Avoca; the house is low and square, having two fronts, each [p. 40] richly decorated with carved pinnacles. The Library contains a very valuable collection made by the Bishop of Elphin great grand-father of the present Earl. The demesne consists principally of lakes. [pp. 39-40]