Sub-titled 'The Original Parliament House', this view of the bank and the busy area in front of it, is populated by numerous figures: three boys in school uniform, an armed sentry, various gentlemen, ladies and children, a pedlar with a handcart, a man with a placard, several dogs and, to the centre right, a group of three elegant men on horseback. A horse-drawn vehicle is seen to the right, with a glimpse of other buildings in the distance.
This print was incorporated by Miss Hammill into her diary of travels in Wales and Ireland (1828-1829). It appeared in G.N. Wright’s Ireland Illustrated (1831) without date, since when the views are horizontal only the upper one is dated (MacDowel Cosgrave, p. 47). It also appeared undated in Dublin Delineated (1831). It appeared in G.N. Wright’s Ireland Illustrated (1831) and Wakeman's Dublin Delineated (1831). In both cases, when the views are horizontal only the upper one is dated (MacDowel Cosgrave, p. 47). It may be assumed that this plate, like the dated ones, was published by ‘Fisher, Son & Co., London’ in 1828.
Rosalind M. Elmes and Michael Hewson, Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings (Dublin: Malton Press for the National Library of Ireland Society, 1975).
E. MacDowel Cosgrave, ‘A Contribution Towards a Catalogue of Nineteenth-Century Engravings of Dublin (Continued)', The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Fifth series, vol. 37, no. 1 (March 31, 1907), 41-60.
George Newenham Wright, Ireland illustrated: from original drawings by Geo. Petrie, W.H. Bartlett, T.M. Baynes and others (London: H. Fisher, Son, and Jackson, 1831).
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Architecture, Cities and towns|
|Keywords(s)||Buildings, Carriages & coaches, Carts, Children, Columns, Dogs, Doors & Doorways, Firearms, Headgear, Horses, Lampposts, Men, People, Soldiers, Women|
|Dimensions||10 cm x 15.6 cm|
|Published / created||1828|
|Travel Account||Diary of travels in Wales and Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 48|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 34,290/1|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|25th [August 1828] — visited the National Bank a superb structure fronted with a grand arcade of Ionic columns all of Portland stone. This is the building in which the senators of Ireland were accustomed to assemble and since the Union it has been converted to its present purpose. The House of Lords remains unaltered with the exception of the throne which has been removed
[image: Bank of Ireland]
[p. 49] and a white marble statue of George 3d in his parliamentary robes placed in the recess — I never saw anything more beautifully executed than the ermine and drapery but the likeness is very indifferent — Then we were shown two well executed specimens of tapestry brought from Holland. One represents the Battle of the Boyne, the other the famous Siege of Derry; there is likewise an excellent Bust by Turnerelli of the Duke of Wellington in this apartment. [pp. 48-49]