The Four Law Courts, Dublin
View of the Four Courts from upriver. There is an assortment of boats on the river: a barge, a larger craft with a canopy, four oarsmen and a man with a banner, as well as rowing boats and punts of various kinds, some carrying passengers. Traffic on the quay in front of the Four Courts features a coach, an open carriage, and small groups of pedestrians. Elsewhere, the scene includes further vehicles, two bridges and a line of city buildings receding into the distance along the south quay.
This print was incorporated by Miss Hammill in her diary of travels in Wales and Ireland (1828-1829). It appeared in G.N. Wright's Ireland Illustrated (1831), dated 1830, and in Wakeman's Dublin Delineated .
Rosalind M. Elmes and Michael Hewson, Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings (Dublin: Malton Press for the National Library of Ireland Society, 1975).
E. MacDowel Cosgrave, ‘A Contribution Towards a Catalogue of Nineteenth-Century Engravings of Dublin (Continued)', The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Fifth series, vol. 37, no. 1 (March 31, 1907), 41-60.
George Newenham Wright, Ireland illustrated: from original drawings by Geo. Petrie, W.H. Bartlett, T.M. Baynes and others (London: H. Fisher, Son, and Jackson, 1831).
Inscribed in Image
W.H. Bartlett. / Owen.
Caption outside of boundaries of image –
The Four Law Courts, Dublin.