View of Belfast and of the old Long Bridge, when it was about to be dismantled in 1841. Several of the arches are delapidated and one portion of the bridge is missing. Timber piling is shown in the foreground and near the bridge. There are two anglers on the shore, and a procession of small craft going towards the bridge. Beyond it are numerous tall masts, several smoking chimney stacks, and multi-storeyed buildings.
The Long Bridge was replaced by the Queen's Bridge, completed by January 1843, and officially opened in 1849 by Queen Victoria.
Ronald C. Cox, Michael H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (London: Thomas Telford, 1998)
William Alan McCutcheon, The Industrial Archaeology of Northern Ireland (Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 1984).
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Architecture, Cities and towns, Marines|
|Keywords(s)||Beaches, Boats, Bridges, Chimneys, Fishing, Harbours, People, Seas, Sports & recreation|
|Dimensions||14.5 cm x 23 cm|
|Published / created||1853|
|Travel Account||Illustrations of the North of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 19|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland J 91411|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|THE annexed view of the LONG BRIDGE of Belfast, was taken just as it was about to be pulled down, in 1841, to give place to the new and elegant structure of the white granate, now connecting the town of Belfast, in County Antrim, to its suburb, Ballymacarrett, in County Down. Shortly after its erection, it was injured by the passing of the Duke of Schomberg’s heavy cannon over it, while the work was fresh. Seven arches having then fallen in; which, however, were shortly after repaired, and continued secure untilit [sic] was eventually taken down. The view of Belfast from the bank of the River Lagan, above the Bridge, is very interesting from its extensive range of shipping in the port, and the “Cave Hill” in the distance, –the outline of which against the sky, has the appearance of a gigantic face in a recumbent position, the different features being correctly marked in-profile, is considered to bear a strong resemblance to those of Napoleon Bonaparte. In summer, boating parties are frequently seen, tempted by the beauty of the sail up the Lagan, which is navigable by a canal to Lough Neagh. The Bridge across the river Lagan, joining the town of Belfast to the Ballymacarrett, suburb, was chiefly remarkable for its great length and number of arches, the latter amounting to 21, all turned with scraba freestone. The entire length was 2,562 feet. [p. 18]|