Larne Bay

Artist(s) : James Howard Burgess (Draughtsman)

View of Larne Bay, with foliage and ruins in the foreground, the village further back, and the bay in the background.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – Drawn by J. H. Burgess. Pub[lishe]d by M. Ward, Belfast
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Larne Bay, Co. Antrim

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Etchings
Subject(s) Cities and towns, Marines
Geographical Location
  • Larne - Town or city
  • Antrim - County
  • Ulster - Province
Keywords(s) Bays (Bodies of water), Boats, Harbours, Islands, Mountains, Ruins, Seas
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 14.5 cm x 23 cm
Published / created 1853

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Illustrations of the North of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Note Drawn by James Howard Burgess.
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy p. 27
Source copy National Library of Ireland J 91411
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

THE town of LARNE, or as it was anciently caller INVER, is situated on a Lough of the same name. Its trade is of importance, the chief articles of commerce being Linen, Rock-salt and Limestone. The population may be considered about 3,000. On the peninsula of the Curraàn stands the interesting Ruin of OLDERFLEET CASTLE, with which some historical records are connected, it being here that Edward Bruce effected his landing, in 1315, with the expectation of making himself King of Ireland, and was the cause of dreadful calamities, particularly to English settlers. At Olderfleet will be found a ferry-boat, plying regularly between that point and ISLAND-MAGEE, which abounds with much interest to the geologist. Having landed, the tourist should visit the curious Druidical cromlech, called the “Rocking-Stone,” or “Giants cradle,” which was said to acquire a rocking tremulous motion at the approach of sinners or malefactors; and was so ingeniously poised, that the slightest impulse was capable of rocking a mass which the greatest strength could not dislodge. About two miles farther, are the stupendous basaltic cliffs, called Gobbins, upwards of 200 feet high. In the distance, are the once-dangerous rocks, “the Maidens,” where many a brave vessel has gone down; but of late, two handsome and beautifully appointed light-houses have been erected, which beside being of the greatest utility to shipping, forms a fine subject for the artist’s pencil. [p. 26]
Larne Bay