Shane's Castle

Artist(s) : James Howard Burgess (Draughtsman), [firm of] Mould & Tod (Engraver)

View of Shane's Castle. Lough Neagh, with three anglers, one with a net, in the foreground, and a small boat further off. The castle is in the background, reflected on the calm surface of the lake.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – Drawn by J. H. Burgess. Eng[rave]d by Mould & Tod Edin[bu]r[g].
    Published by Marcus Ward. 6. Corn Market. Belfast
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Shane's Castle. Lough Neagh.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Etchings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture
Geographical Location
  • Shane's Castle - Castle
  • Antrim - County
  • Ulster - Province
Keywords(s) Boats, Castles, Fishing, Lakes & ponds, People, Ruins, Sports & recreation, Trees
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 14.5 cm x 23 cm
Published / created 1853

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Illustrations of the North of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy p. 63
Source copy National Library of Ireland J 91411
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

THE demesne of SHANE’S CASTLE, is universally admitted to be one of the most beautiful in the North of Ireland. Situated a short distance from the town of ANTRIM, on the banks of Lough Neagh; it extends over two thousand acres, a great portion of which is covered with the most luxuriant timber. – Oak, elm, beech and larch, are to be found in great size; and of the first, some appear to be of natural growth, and are quite magnificent. The Noble Proprietor, The RIGHT HON. EARL O’NEILL, gives free permission to strangers who wish to drive or walk through the demesne. Pleasure parties are continually found availing themselves of this privilege, to visit one of the most delightful spots ever chosen for such purpose. The Fine old building of SHANES’ CASTLE, which once occupied a most commanding and picturesque situation, was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1816: nothing now remains of the Old Castle but the walls. A handsome CONSERVATORY was completed, which stands upon a fortified esplanade, covering an extensive range of vaults, overhanging the waters of the Lake, and containing a vast number of curious plants, is well worthy of a visit. The GARDENS are kept in admirable order, and are of considerable extent. The Demesne abounds with old raths or fortresses, but being chiefly planted over, are not clearly distinguishable. The OLD BURIAL PLACE of the Family, close the Ruins of the Castle, is well worthy of notice. The Late Lord O’Neill, after the destruction of the Castle, fitted up a temporary residence at a short distance from the site of the ruins, which the present Noble Proprietor, has converted into a splendid mansion, and contributes, by his urbane manners and kindness, to the tenantry of his extensive estate, to point out the advantage to be derived from a resident nobility. The distance of Shane’s Castle from Belfast is about Fifteen Miles. [p. 62]
Shane's Castle