Sarah’s Bridge, now Islandbridge, that today joins the South Circular Road and Conyngham Road in Dublin. In the foreground a boat with three men and some casks is travelling away from the bridge; another boat can be seen in the distance beyond the bridge. The surroundings appear rural, with trees along the river, and no buildings visible.
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Architecture, Cities and towns, Transportation|
|Keywords(s)||Boats, Bridges, Lampposts, Passengers, People, Rivers|
|Dimensions||8.6 cm x 16 cm|
|Published / created||1807|
|Travel Account||A View of ancient and modern Dublin|
|Print or manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 54|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland Jp 5350|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|In the year 1791 the right honourable John Beresford laid the foundation stone of Carlisle-bridge, which is a handsome structure of three arches; the architect Mr. Gandon; it was opened in July 1795; it is ten feet wider than Westminster-bridge, and forms an excellent communication between the eastern parts of Dublin, particularly Mountjoy and Merrion squares. On the 22d of June in the same year, Sarah, countess of Westmorland, laid the foundation of Sarah-bridge, near the Phoenix-park, which is allowed to be a model of the most beautiful architecture. It is three hundred and fifty-six feet long, and thirty-eight broad; the arch is an elliptic, one hundred and four feet in diameter, which is twelve feet superior to the famous Rialto at Venice. The keystone is twenty-two feet above high water mark; Sarah-bridge [footnote: “It was built by Mr. Alexander Stephens, a native of Scotland”] is a considerable ornament to the western part of the city. Near this stood an ancient bridge, called Island-bridge, built by queen Elizabeth in the year 1577. [pp. 54-55]|