Bellevue in the County Wicklow

View of Bellevue House, Co. Wicklow. Mansion on rising ground, in parkland. In the foreground, four female figures, two seated on the grass, two standing. On the avenue, a phaeton carrying two women with plumed headresses, approaching the viewer. Mountain to the right.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Bellevue in the County Wicklow.
  • Instructions to binder – Page 111

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Engravings
Subject(s) Architecture, Nature, Rural life, Transportation
Geographical Location
  • Bellevue House, Co. Wicklow - Named locality
  • Wicklow - County
  • Leinster - Province
Keywords(s) Carriages & coaches, Horses, Lands, Mansions, Mountains, Passengers, People, Women
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 8.3 cm x 15.6 cm
Published / created 1807

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account A View of ancient and modern Dublin
Contributor(s)
Note John Ferrar
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy opp. p. 111
Source copy National Library of Ireland Jp 5350
Alternative source

This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.hxjujy?urlappend=%3Bseq=138
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

We walked to Bellevue and dined—no, we banqueted in the demesne. The fragrant meadow was our carpet, a serene sky our canopy. Every wish was replenished with full delight. We enjoyed a feast of rational luxury, and a flow of intellectual pleasure, which may be felt but cannot be described. Here the following lines were penciled in our common-place book: // “Here all the charms of chance and order meet,/ The rude, the gay, the graceful, and the great,/ Here ev'ry tree with nature's music rings,/ Here ev'ry breeze bears health upon its wings.”/ The ancient name of Bellevue was Ballydonough, and was purchased in the year 1753 by the late David La Touche, from the Rev. Doctor Corbet, dean of St. Patrick's cathedral. It contains 300 acres of good ground, to which more is annually adding. Every year a piece of land is cleared, ornamented and divested of its weeds and furze, by the unremitting labour of Mr. John Kelly, a good reclaimer of ground. He also planted almost every tree in the demesne, which is kept in perfect order; and executed, at a considerable expence, a new and good road on a morass. The sums of money laid out on this spot are so heavy we could not ascertain them, but we could discover the patriotic hand of the late owner, to whose expanded, liberal mind, Bellevue owes many improvements. He built the mansion-house in 1754, and his son added the two wings. [Footnote: “The house is roomy and convenient, furnished in good stile, and contains some excellent stained glass, particularly a chemist at work, and fishermen bringing in their cargo by moonlight.”] The // whole is well planned; the offices also are commodious and numerous. The entire cost 30,000 l. [pp. 111-113]
Bellevue in the County Wicklow