View of Dunluce Castle. The ruined castle and its bridge stand in the middle ground, outlined against a stormy sky. Three figures on a cliff in the foreground, with their backs to the viewer, gaze out to sea. Waves lash the base of the cliffs and, in the distance, a small sailing boat is inclined at an alarming angle.
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Forts and fortifications, Marines, Nature|
|Keywords(s)||Beaches, Boats, Bridges, Castles, Cliffs, Islands, Men, Monuments & memorials, People, Ruins, Seas|
|Dimensions||5.6 cm x 10.2 cm|
|Published / created||1839|
|Travel Account||Letters concerning the northern coast of the county of Antrim|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 78|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland Dix Coleraine 1839|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|There are three or four old castles along the coast, situated in places extremely difficult of access, but their early histories are for the greater part lost.—The most remarkable of these is the castle of Dunluce, which is at present in the possession of the Antrim family. It is situated in a singular manner on an isolated abrupt rock perforated by the waves; which have formed under it a very spacious cavern. This rock projects into the sea, and seems as it were split off from terra firma. Over the intermediate chasm lies the only approach to the castle, along a narrow wall, which has been built somewhat like a bridge, connecting it to the adjoining land; and this circumstance must have rendered it almost impregnable before the invention [p.79] of artillery. On close examination it appears however, that there was originally another narrow wall which ran across the chasm, parallel to the former, and that by laying boards over these, an easy passage might occasionally be made for the benefit of the garrison.
The walls of this castle are built of columnar basaltes, many joints of which are placed in such a manner as to show their polygon sections; and in one of the windows of the north side, the architect has contrived to splay off the wall neatly enough, by making use of the joints of a pillar whose angle was sufficiently obtuse to suit his purpose.
The original lord of this castle and its territories, was an Irish chief, called M'Quillan, of whom little is known, except that, like most of his countrymen, he was hospitable, brave, and improvident; unwarily allowing the Scots to grow in strength, until they contrived to beat him out of all his possessions. [p.78-79]