Interior View of the Abby of Holy Cross, County of Tipperary

Artist(s) : George Holmes (Draughtsman)

Interior of the Abbey of Holy Cross, Co. Tipperary. Two people are engaged in conversation in the foreground, in the bottom-right corner of the image, one facing the viewer and the other turned in the opposite direction. Beside them broken gravestones lie on the ground. Above them towers the vaulted ceiling. The nave continues on the right-hand side and on the left a sculpted monument with Gothic arches is erected against the wall of a transept.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – Geo. Holmes Delt. / Alken Sculpt.
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Interior View of the Abby of Holy Cross, County of Tipperary.
  • Instructions to binder – to face p. 35.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Aquatints
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites
Geographical Location
  • Holy Cross Abbey - Named locality
  • Holycross - Village
  • Tipperary - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Archaeological sites, Cemeteries, Churches, Interiors, People, Sculpture
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 8.8 cm x 14.3 cm
Published / created 1801

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Sketches of some of the Southern Counties of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Note George Holmes
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy opp. p. 35
Source copy National Library of Ireland THOM 91414
Alternative source

This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015056108817?urlappend=%3Bseq=8
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

Mounting our horses we rode off for Holy Cross, a village charmingly seated upon the river Suir, and surrounded by a fine country. // We entered the village over a bridge of nine or ten arches, and enquiring for the inn, were directed to a small house, the comfortless appearance of which gave but a bad earnest of its accommodations. Having conducted our horses through the second best room in the house, into the yard, we had the satisfaction of seeing them, however, well lodged, and while dinner was preparing we walked through the little garden of the inn to view the abbey; a most venerable piece of antiquity indeed, once giving its name to the surrounding district: its walls may be traced through all the neighbouring gardens, and half the houses in the village are composed of the spoils of this fine ruin. We entered from the back of the garden, by descending a very steep and broad flight of steps, into the south cross; nothing can exceed the elegant lightness of the decorations, and the whole being of black marble, the hardness and durability of which, firmly resisting the cor- // rosion of time, will probably descend to posterity a proud and tasteful monument of the style of the 10th century. The east end is so thickly mantled over with ivy that the great window is nearly choaked up, admitting but a few partial rays of the sun, but those fortunately rested upon the tomb of Donald, king of Limerick, the founder, and produced a most happy effect. Those rays, though feeble, were sufficient to disclose the beauties of this monument, in which simplicity and elegance are happily combined; the workmanship is exquisite and fresh as on the first day of its erection. In the south cross there are some curious remains of the shrine, in which was deposited (as the monks pretended) a piece of the cross on which Christ suffered; and to which this // abbey was dedicated, anno 1169. On the north chapel is a monument of Italian marble, the great slab is broken in two, the internal part full of bones. [pp. 33-36]
Interior View of the Abby of Holy Cross, County of Tipperary