View across Lough Leane to Ross Castle against a backdrop of woodland and mountains, on a calm day with reflections on the lake. In the foreground two rowing boats are pulled up on the shore, while a third, afloat, has three people aboard. Three more figures are seated or standing nearby. The tall tower house, adjacent buildings and bawn wall occupy the centre of the image.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/, record nos KE066-074001-, KE066-074003- and KE066-074004-. Accessed 6.6.2018.
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Agriculture, Antiquities and archaeological sites, Forts and fortifications, Transportation|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Beaches, Boats, Castles, Lakes & ponds, Mountains, Passengers, People|
|Dimensions||10.4 cm x 17.1 cm|
|Published / created||1801|
|Travel Account||Sketches of some of the Southern Counties of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 115|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland THOM 91414|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|This morning we prepared for an excursion on the lakes. The boats are stationed at Ross Island, about a mile and a half from town; it is rather a peninsula, being separated from the main land only by a cut through a morass, over which there is a bridge. Ross castle stands on this island, formerly the seat of O'Donoghoe Ross, one of the // most ancient families in this county. It lies close to the water side, beautifully backed by wood, which covers almost the whole of the island; the banks, in most places, are hid by thick and hanging foliage. The castle is now in tolerable repair, having a garrison, with a governor appointed for it, upon the establishment. In the year 1641, it was held by Lord Muskerry, against the English, commanded by Ludlow, with Lord Broghil and Sir Hardress Waller, who besieged it with four thousand infantry, and two hundred cavalry; it was surrendered upon capitulation. [pp. 115-116]|