Light-House at Howth

Artist(s) : Thomas Creswick (Draughtsman), Henry Wallis (Engraver)

View of Baily Lighthouse, on Howth Head, from the shore. The lighthouse stands in the centre of the image upon its rocky base. Leading up to it are steps and a massive wall, seemingly linking it to the mainland across a chasm. The lone figure of a man, holding a rifle, is standing in the foreground, on the edge of a cliff, looking towards the stormy sea. There are birds high above the lighthouse and near the cliff.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – T. Creswick. / H. Wallis.
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Light-House at Howth.
  • Text outside of boundaries of image – Printed by Alfred Adlard.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Etchings
Subject(s) Marines, Nature
Geographical Location
  • Baily Lighthouse, Howth - Named locality
  • Dublin - County
  • Leinster - Province
Keywords(s) Birds, Cliffs, Firearms, Lighthouses, Men, Rock formations, Seas
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 11.2 cm x 13.4 cm
Published / created 1837 - 1838

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Ireland Picturesque and Romantic
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy opp. page 3
Source copy National Library of Ireland Ir 9141 r 15
Alternative source

This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/yale.39002001929075?urlappend=%3Bseq=22
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

The peninsula of Howth, on the right hand, appeared, through the watery air, like an island, only its bold front and lighthouse rising distinctly out of the deep. The annexed view, although taken in a somewhat more favourable state of the atmosphere, conveys an admirable idea of the scene. Across the low isthmus of Howth, the island called Ireland's Eye boomed full out of the mist; and, further still, in the momentary changes of the atmosphere, that of Lambay looked like a cloud resting on the horizon. On the left hand, or southern point of the bay, lay the island of Dalkey, crowned with a martello tower; while before me the whole shore was studded with villas and villages; behind which, but verging southward, the woods and fields rose gradually up till they mingled with the Wicklow hills. [p.3]
Light-House at Howth