Although the title handwritten below the image is 'Howth Head', this is an image of Dalkey Island, which has been pasted into the album. A martello tower on a rocky outcrop dominates one end of the island. At the other end there is a roofless two-storey building (the ruin of St Begnet's's church), and a little below it a column of smoke rises from the ground. There are sails on the horizon and a steamship travelling towards the coast. A smaller boat close to the shore appears to be carrying a group of anglers with rods. On the shore there are several standing or sitting figures. Large rocks occupy the right-hand foreground, others emerge from the sea.
This image is almost identical to a view entitled ‘Dalkey Island, Bay of Dublin', engraved by J. Greig after a drawing by George Petrie for Thomas Cromwell's Excursions through Ireland (London: Longman et al., 1820).
|Subject(s)||Forts and fortifications, Marines, Transportation|
|Keywords(s)||Bays (Bodies of water), Boats, Churches, Fishing, Houses, Islands, People, Seas, Ships, Sports & recreation, Towers|
|Dimensions||13.6 cm x 9.8 cm|
|Published / created||1820 - 1829|
|Travel Account||Diary of travels in Wales and Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 18|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 34,290/1|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|