View of motte in Crossmoyle, Clones, showing a truncated cone-shaped mound encircled by a series of stepped banks with internal ditches.
Described in 1986 as ‘rising in series of terraces (due to landscaping) and surrounded by fosse at base’ (Archaeological Inventory of County Monaghan, no. 1209), its appearance has altered somewhat since it was depicted by Binns.
Archaeological Inventory of County Monaghan, compiled by Anna L. Brindley (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1986).
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/, record no. MO011-008001-. Accessed 27.02.2018.
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Hills, Ringforts|
|Dimensions||9.2 cm x 14.1 cm|
|Published / created||1837|
|Travel Account||The Miseries and Beauties of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 232|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland J 9141|
This is a link to a digital copy hosted by an external website.
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|Clones, which belongs to Sir B. Thomas Leonard, son of Lord Dacre, the former owner, was successively called Cluaneois, Clunes, Clunish, and Cloyne. The market place is adorned by a fine old carved cross, surmounting a flight of steps, and beautifully ornamented with sculptured figures of animals. Here, too, are the ruins of a monastery built in the sixth century, and dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. In the grave-yard, on the opposite side of the road, the tombstones that lie scattered about are of curious and antique forms, with raised letters in front, and significant carvings on the back. Amongst others, the Scotch thistle frequently appears. In this yard also stands the celebrated Pillar Tower, the top of which has been broken in upon by time. This tower (Sir Charles Coote informs us) contained five stories; the walls are, at the base, four feet thick; at the top, two; and the diameter // inside is ten feet. The entrance is also ten feet from the ground, and is two feet in width. Holes, which appear to have supported joists for the floors, still remain, and Sir C. Coote thinks, from the roughness of them, that they have been made since the tower was built. There is no appearance of any stone staircase. Upon an elevated piece of ground about a stone's throw from this remarkable monument of ancient days, is a very perfect Rath, which commands a view of the whole surrounding country. It is encompassed by three ramparts and an equal number of fosses, in the lowest of which is a fine spring of water. The top is flat, and contains the foundation of a square building. [pp. 231-232]|