Limerick

Artist(s) : John Carr (Draughtsman), Thomas Medland (Engraver)

Elevated view of Limerick looking upriver towards Thomond Bridge. Tiled rooftops and the circular tower of King John's Castle occupy much of the foreground. Behind them are trees and what appears to be a warehouse or grainstore at the level of a weir, to the right of the Shannon. Various figures, including a horse and cart, are seen in the expansive open spaces on the far side of the river, where further substantial houses and buildings are depicted. There are a few small sailing boats on the river above the bridge, and the Cratloe hills lie in the background.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – Drawn by Jn. Carr Esq.r / Engraved by T. Medland
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Limerick / Published June 2, 1806 by R. Phillips. No. 6, New Bridge Street, Black fryars

Image Details

Genre Townscape
Technique Aquatints
Subject(s) Architecture, Cities and towns
Geographical Location
  • Thomond Bridge - Named locality
  • Limerick - Town or city
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Boats, Buildings, Carts, Hills, Horses, Houses, Mountains, People, Rivers, Towers, Trees
Colour Coloured
Dimensions 13.5 cm x 20.6 cm
Published / created 1806

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account The stranger in Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy opp. p. 319
Source copy National Library of Ireland LO 2699 Dir. Off.
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

The road from Dublin to Limerick is remarkably broad and fine. In proceeding to the Mail Hotel, we passed through several fine streets, and by several quays, lined with elegant brick houses and handsome shops, which have been erected very recently. The bustle of trade was in every quarter, and its prosperity displayed itself in a variety of instances. The most beautiful streets, which comprize a great part of the city called Newton-perry, have been erected within these very few years, are spaciously laid out, and were enlivened by several handsome and well-dressed women. The ancient city consisted of two divisions, the English-town and the Irish-town, connected by a bridge called Baal's-bridge, which crosses an arm of the // Shannon that river greatly adds to the beauty as well as the opulence of the place: both these towns were formerly fortified against each other, or against the common foe. The houses here are lofty and crowded, the streets narrow and dirty, and much resemble those of Rouen in Upper Normandy. The modern part of the city contains an Assembly-room, the principal docks to which vessels of five hundred tons burthen can come up and discharge their cargos, a handsome Customhouse, and a spacious commercial Coffee-house, like that of Dublin, which was not quite finished. The Limerick gloves, so much celebrated, are manufactured here and it was whispered to me that Limerick gloves are manufactured in Dublin also. [pp. 317-318]
Limerick