Mitchelstown Castle. – Co. of Cork. The Seat of the Earl of Kingston

View of Mitchelstown Castle. This impressive pile with its numerous towers occupies the summit of a wooded hill. By the river at its foot a seated figure is fishing, with another figure standing close by, and a basket.
The castle, designed c. 1823 by James and George Pain to replace a Palladian residence, was the largest neo-Gothic house of its time. In 1922 it was burned by the Republican Army, and was later entirely dismantled. Its former site is now occupied by the Dairygold Creamery.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Mitchelstown Castle. - Co of Cork.
    The Seat of the Earl of Kingston.
  • Text outside of boundaries of image –
    Day & Haghe Lith. to the Queen.
    London, Saunders & Otley 1839.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Nature
Geographical Location
  • Mitchelstown Castle - Castle
  • Cork - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Castles, Fishing, Hills, Rivers, Sports & recreation, Towers, Trees
Colour Monochrome
Published / created 1839

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Rambles in the South of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy Vol. 2, frontispiece
Source copy James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland Galway Special Collections: 914.190481 CHA
Permalink

Related text from travel account

We went through Fermoy, and turned off the
 Dublin road, near Lord Mountcashel’s place.
 A pleasant drive of about five hours brought us 
to Mitchelstown Castle. It is a noble pile of 
building, surrounded by fine woods, and commanding extensive views over a broad and fertile 
plain of the splendid range of the Galtee mountains. We arrived in time to walk in the gardens before dinner, and enjoyed the sight and 
perfume of the flowers in the magnificent conservatory. This castle, large as it is, was built 
by Lord Kingston in five years. The old house was pulled down, and this one not only finished, 
but furnished and inhabited in that short space 
[p. 3] of time. A large and pleasant party was staying in the castle, and the evening was enlivened 
by the exertions of the family piper; he was an 
excellent musician, and played Irish airs with a
 degree of taste and execution which I hardly
 imagined the instrument would allow him to 
display. An expedition to the mountain-lodge, 
and to the curious caves about six miles off, was 
arranged for the morrow.
[p. 3-17: account of Mountain Lodge and visit to Mitchelstown caves]
The next morning we had a delightful ramble 
over the gardens and grounds of Mitchelstown 
in search of the best point of view from which 
to sketch the castle. We made several draw- [p. 18] ings of that fine building, one of which will 
be found at the commencement of this volume.
 It is taken from a part of the grounds which is 
not often visited, on the north side of the
 castle. [Vol. 2, p. 2-3, 17-18]
Mitchelstown Castle. – Co. of Cork. The Seat of the Earl of Kingston