Sketch of bas relief and inscription on the floor slab dedicated to Archbishop Richard Talbot in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin. The Archbishop stands within a gothic structure, with his robe, mitre and crozier. At his feet is a semi-crouching spaniel-like dog. Behind him, on each side, stands a group of people, with a blank scroll issuing from the group on the left. An inscription is placed below the dog.
By the 1820s the original brass of this tablet had been destroyed. Its matrix was recovered in the early twentieth century, its identification being partly based on Dineley’s sketch.
Hugh Jackson Lawlor, ‘The monuments of the pre-Reformation Archbishops of Dublin’, The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, series 6, vol. VII, vol. XLVII, part 2 (31 Dec. 1917), pp. 109-138, here pp. 119-127.
R. Loeber, ‘Sculptured memorials to the dead in early seventeenth-century Ireland: A survey from “Monumenta Eblanae” and other sources’, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Section C: Archaeology, Celtic Studies, History, Linguistics, Literature, vol. 81C (1981), pp. 267-293, here p. 283.
|Genre||Scientific or Technical illustration|
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture|
|Keywords(s)||Antiquities, Archaeological sites, Brass, Crowds, Hats, Inscriptions, Men, People, Sculpture, Tombs & sepulchral monuments|
|Dimensions||7.5 cm x 15 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 15|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|In the Body of the Quire even with the Pavement of St Patricks is seen the Monument or Tombstone inlayde with brass of the
Orate pro anima praenobilis Dni Dni
Iohis TALBOT quondam Comitis SA-
LOPIAE Dni FURNIVAL Dni Verdun Dni
STRANGE de BLACKEMERE et Marescalli
FRANCIAE, Qui Obijt in Bello apud
Burdews. July. VII. M. CCCC. LIII.
The Inscription upon the Archbipps Tombstone remaines at his Feet thus upon a square brass plate in the same Character as on the other side
RICHARD TALBOT Iacet
Archi fuit Praesul hujus Sedis Reverendae
Parvos Canonicos, qui fundavitque Choristas
Anno Milleno C quater, quater X quoque nono
Quindeno Augusti mensis mundo valedixit,
Omipotens Dominus cui propicietur in aevum.
He was founder of the Petty Cannons and Choristers of this Church. and died Aug: 15. 1449. [pp. 15-16]