Sepia and red ink sketch of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, surrounded by buildings. In the centre of the image steps lead up to the entrance, above which rises the bell tower. To the right of the entrance a troop of soldiers with lances is marching by; they are represented by a fragment from a printed plate pasted upon the drawing. A bilobate frame partially surrounds the upper part and sides of the image.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Cities and towns|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Birds, Churches, Houses, Men, People, Soldiers, Steeples, Towers|
|Dimensions||11.6 cm x 8.3 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 25|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|Over the Quire Door of this Church are read these Inscripcons.
The Rt Honble Sr Oliver St IOHN Knight descended of the noble House of the Lord S IOHNS of BLETSO Deputy Generall of Ireland who tooke the Sword of State and Government of this Kingdome into his hands august 30 1616.
ANNO DOMINI MDCLXXX
JACOBO DUCE ORMONDO
The riseing of this last Inscripcon which is in a Compartment of Gold and the setting up the new Staircase over the Quire door leading to the Lord Lieutenants Seat, hath, with ye late beautifying this Church obliterated and obscured severall Inscripcons and monuments of ancient date […]. [pp. 25-26]