The tomb of Luke Challoner, in the University Chapel of Trinity College, Dublin. The high relief figure of Challoner, in robes, ruff and cap or low-crowned hat, rests on the tomb, his hands joined in prayer. He is attended by two angels. His epitaph is inscribed on the side panel. The monument is surrounded by a railing.
In 1798, when the new chapel was built, the original alabaster figure of Challoner was left exposed to the weather and deteriorated.
The book of Trinity college, Dublin, 1591-1891 (Belfast: M. Ward & Co., 1892), p. 209.
Newport J.D. White, ‘Luke Challoner, D.D.’, The Irish Church Quarterly, vol. 2, no. 7 (July 1909), 207-233.
Inscribed in Image
|Genre||Scientific or Technical illustration|
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites|
|Keywords(s)||Antiquities, Churches, Hats, Inscriptions, Men, People, Prayer, Sculpture, Tombs & sepulchral monuments|
|Dimensions||10.2 cm x 5.2 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 72|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|Entering into the University Chappell on the left hand is seen a fair monument in white marble of One Chaloner who was founder of the s[ai]d Chappel as appears by Inscription thereon which see page. [p. 71]|