Cloghgrenan Castle

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

View of Clogrenan Castle across the River Barrow. The five-storey red brick building, with elaborate windows, decorative gables and crenellated parapet, stands beside a lower construction, behind a stone wall fronting the river. A tree, two cannons and a troop of soldiers are on the river bank opposite to the castle; these are fragments of a printed plate pasted upon the drawing.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption within boundaries of image – Cloghgrenan Castle
  • Text within boundaries of image – The Barrow River

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications
Geographical Location
  • Clogrennane Castle - Castle
  • Laois - County
  • Leinster - Province
Keywords(s) Buildings, Cannons, Castles, Firearms, Hats, Men, People, Rivers, Soldiers, Trees, Windows
Colour Handcoloured
Dimensions 9.3 cm x 12.2 cm
Published / created 1681

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 81
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

Within a mile \& half/ of Carlow upon the River Barrow is seen a castle built of brick and stone belonging to the Earle of Arran called
CLOGHRENAN als Gloughgrenane (settled upon him by his Father the Duke of Ormond: The present Tenant is Sr John Davalliere) remarkeable for little but that in the yeer 1649 after the murther of our late King, the Lord Lieutent Ormond began a campaigne in May, with his own credit & propper moneys with 8000 foot and 2000 horse, and appointed this Cloghgrenan for a generall Rendesvous and Parade for the whole Army, which altogether as well Protestant as Irish, made up a Body of 3700 Horse and 14500 Foot, and a Train of 4 pieces of Cannon. [p. 81]
Cloghgrenan Castle