View of Carlow castle, adjacent buildings and surrounding walls. Outside the walls a horseman and a troop of soldiers are constituted of three fragments of a printed plate pasted upon the drawing. The image is enclosed within two intersecting oval borders. The lettering (A / B/ C) within the image is not explained in the text.
This illustration is separated from Dineley's other sketch of Carlow Castle and relevant text concerning Carlow (pp. 78-80).
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Buildings, Castles, Horses, Men, People, Soldiers, Towers|
|Dimensions||12.6 cm x 6.2 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Closely related image:|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 91|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|The County Town of CATHERLAUGH vulgarly called Carlow with the places adjacent Ao D. 1680.
Catherlaugh belonging to ye Rt Honble Henry Earle of THOMOND is a fair thriveing flourishing Town, comanded by the following Castle, engarrison’d by a very ancient experienced Souldier Sr IOHN Davalliere as Captain, Richard Powell gent. as Lieutenant and as Ensigne.
The Castle is built of free stone belonging also to ye sd Earle of Thomond a great sanctuary to ye English and Protestants whereto out of all the adjacent countrey they fled with their goods and Substance during the late Irish bloody Massacre, at which time it was very much demolished
The Town is scituate upon, and hath the benefitt of two Rivers viz the Barrow & the Burren between wch it is, It hath two fair Bridges. is upon a riseing ground, so healthfull for Ireland that by severall I have heard it called ye Irish Montpelier.
[p. 79] The River Barrow is very clear and pleasant navigable by flatt bottom’d boats hither from Ross.
The Church is fair also in its kind, it is served by a Reverend worthy Gentleman Mr [blank space] Weston heretofore a student of the Middle Temple London. [p. 78]
[Following passages, pp. 79-80, concern Carlow’s trade and other features.]