View of the ruins of the Cistercian Abbey of Woney [Uaithne], variously called Ony, Owhny, Ownhy by Dineley. The River Mulkear, here called Mulkerne, is seen in the foreground. A bridge with six or more arches spans the river, leading towards the imposing ruins and surrounding village, which presents a variety of houses. Other features include a hanging sign, possibly for an inn or shop, as well as fences and trees. The drawing is surrounded by an oval frame.
Some remains of this abbey, founded in 1205 by Theobald Fitzwalter and burned in 1647 by the forces of Lord Inchiquin, can still be seen in Abington, near the town of Murroe, Co. Limerick.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Cities and towns|
|Keywords(s)||Antiquities, Archaeological sites, Birds, Bridges, Buildings, Cabins, Churches, Cottages, Houses, Rivers, Ruins, Stores & shops, Taverns (Inns), Windows|
|Dimensions||9 cm x 6.1 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 114|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|From Limerick (scituate upon the side of the River Shannon) to
Abby Ony is 5 miles. This belonged heretofore to the Walshes. Se Edmond Walsh as appears by Inscripcõn in the ruines of a small neat Chapel before it. This Estate of Abby-Ony forfeited by the Walshes in ye Rebellion of 1641 is now in the hands of Jospeh Stepney of the Middle Temple London Esqr.
[p. 113] First ye Town of Ownhy heretofore inhabited by ye O mul Rjans a fragment of whose Inscription is seen upon a monument in ye ruines of the Abby following, the inhabitants of this pt of Munster called the O mul-Rians country were in ye Reigne of Q. Eliz ano 1600 esteemed most notorious traitors wherefore this Town & several castles & beings [buildings] about it, were almost layd even with the ground, & the Traytors putt to ye sword.
Neer this is the country of the White Knight (taken notice of in an Inscripcõ in ye Abby of Owny, who then being also a traytor and related to ye Archtraytors Tyrone & Desmond) who sought by Sr George Thorneton to be received into the protection of the Queen & was not denyed by which means the faggot began to unloose which combin’d ye Rebellion in Munster.
Four \or 5/ miles from Limerick worthy the sight of ye curious are the Ruines of
ABBY ONY als OWHNY anciently an Abbey of the Order of Saint Bernard (in going to it is crossed a stone bridge of six arches over ye river). Att the West end whereof is a small Chappel unroof’d belonging to the Walshes as appears by a fair Monument of black marble and Inscripcõns there. Over the Door at the entrance into it, is as follows under his Armes. dated 1619.
THE ARMES OF Sr EDMOND WALSHE KNYGHT
AND HYS LADYE ELLYCE GRACE.
In the next leafe I have touch’d off the monument and wrote the Inscription on the monument as it is there found.
[p. 114] [image: Ruines of Abby Ony]
[pp. 101, 113-114]
[Followed, pp. 114-116, by images of monuments and inscriptions found in the ruined abbey and adjacent chapel.]