Pen and ink drawing of a mural monument, dated 1633, commemorating members of the Barry family, in the Abbey of Woney. In addition to its inscriptions the monument includes a coat of arms and a crucifix placed centrally in what appears to be a niche or compartiment. Above the two flanking compartiments are inscribed respectively Sancta Maria Mater and Johannes Evangelist. This upper section is supported by two pillars.
Inscribed in Image
|Genre||Scientific or Technical illustration|
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Emblems, Heraldic devices, Inscriptions, Tombs & sepulchral monuments|
|Dimensions||7.1 cm x 9.2 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
Around 1884 the main part of the monument was lying flat in the churchyard of the ruined Abbey of Woney. It subsequently disappeared. Nearby was a crucifix apparently taken from the Abbey, and which may have been the one shown by Dineley. William Le Fanu noted in 1865 that the two pillars from the monument had been found some years earlier in a mound of rubble, in a state of reasonable preservation.
Evelyn Philip Shirley (ed.), ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire’, with notes by James Graves, George V. Du Noyer, John Davis White, John Windele, Herbert F. Hore and William R. Le Fanu, Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, 2nd series, vol. 5, no. 2 (1865), 277-279 (now Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, vol. 8).
Maurice Lenihan, Limerick, Its History and Antiquities (Dublin: James Duffy & Sons, 1884), p. 718.
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 114|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|What is wrote in this last monument is all in Roman Capitalls. It is erected on the left hand \in a Chappel/ going up to ye Altar of ye Abbatial Church.|
|Four \or 5/ miles from Limerick worthy the sight of the curious are the Ruines of ABBY ONY also OWHNY anciently an Abbey of the Order of Saint Bernard (in going to it is crossed a stone bridge of six arches over the river). Att the West end whereof is a small Chappel unroof’d belonging to the Walshes as appears by a fair Monument of black marble and Inscriptions there. Over the Door at the entrance into it, is as follow uder his Armes. Dated 1619. [Arms]
THE ARMES OF Sir EDMOND WALSHE KNYGHT
AND HIS LADYE ELLYCE GRACE.
In the next leafe I have touch’d off the monument and wrote the Inscription on the monument as it is there found. [p. 113]