Ballynclogh

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

View of the enclosed settlement known to Dineley as Ballynclogh, Ballyneclogh or Ballinclough, now Ballynaclogh, a parish in the barony of Coonagh, Co. Limerick. There is a tower house on the right. A gateway on the left-hand side and a barred gate in the foreground lead into a courtyard bordered by low buildings and trees. Beyond the gateway, on the left, lies a field crossed by a road leading to a further closed gate. There is a pond on the right. A piece of printed plate representing a large tree has been pasted on the drawing, in the foreground.

This site can no longer be identified with certainty, although it may well be connected with a series of earthworks noted by the Archaeological Survey in a few fields some 400 meters south-west of the ruins of Ballynaclogh Church. Dineley places it five miles from Abbey Owney or Woney, a short mile from Grain Church, and about ten miles from Kilmallock.

Source:
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, records LI024-185, LI024-227, LI024-228, LI024-190001. Accessed 07.12.2015.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption within boundaries of image – Ballynclough

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Architecture, Cities and towns, Rural life
Geographical Location
  • Ballynaclogh, near Pallas Grean - Townland - Parish and townland in the barony of Coonagh, Co. Limerick. The coordinates given here are those of the ruined church of Ballynaclogh.
  • Limerick - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Birds, Buildings, Gates, Hills, Houses, Lands, Towers, Trees
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 9.2 cm x 6 cm
Published / created 1681

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 117
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

From Abby Owny to Ballyneclogh a seat belonging to Jason Whitrow Esqr one of his Maties Justices of the Peace for ye county of Limerick is 5 miles. The Etimology of Ballyneclough is Stone Town clogh signifying Stone & Carrigg Rock.
Ten miles from Ballinclough neer Kilmallock in the road to Cork Citty a Mountain (adjoining part of Clanorphy in the county of Limerick (formerly the estate of Sr Edward Fitzharris whose son was executed as a Traytor at Tiburne Anno 1681) about february 1680 before parted in sunder sending forth as it were a river of Water. This estate was forfeited and is now by allotment in the hands of Captain Oliver. [p. 117]
Ballynclogh