View of a small church and adjoining ruin, variously referred to by the author as Grain Church or Grayne Church. It is shown with an ogee headed south doorway, two windows, and a small cross on the west gable. There are hills in the background. One is marked with the letter R and referred to in the accompanying key as Knock a Graine, now Knockgrean. The drawing is enclosed within an oval border.
This is the lost church of Grean. In 1840-41 the compilers of the Ordnance Survey believed it must have lain close to the disused Protestant church, a few hundred metres south-west of Pallasgrean, and south-east of Knockgrean. The presence of a larger building attached to the church may be support for the view expressed by Mervyn Archdall (Monasticon Hibernicum) that here was once a collegiate church at Grean.
http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/, record no. LI024-072004-. Accessed 25.02.2018.
Ordnance Survey Letters. Limerick, ed. Michael Herity (Dublin: Four Masters Press, 2014), pp. 142-143.
Ordnance Survey map (1840-41), at http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,575701,643864,11,0. Accessed 25.02.2018.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Nature|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Buildings, Churches, Hills, Lands, Ruins|
|Dimensions||9.1 cm x 6 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 118|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|From Ballyneclogh to Grayne-Church is a small mile. here is seen a monument belonging to the Mac Briens of Bally Tarsney [p. 118] And another Tombstone underneath the Pulpitt, which I have touched off below marked D.
[image: Grain Church]
on the other side of Knock Graine, whch signifies hill of the sun being singular good Land as any in Ireland. this adjoines a Town called Pallice remarkeable for a neat mount anciently a Danes Fort & upon which hath bin /also\ anciently a Castle, this is in the hands of Mr James English. From Pallice to Miltown Abbey is two miles.
[image of cross]