Miltown Abbey Ruines

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

Sketch of ecclesiastical ruins with a surrounding wall. No longer extant.

It appears almost certain that the Milltown in question is the townland which lies south-west of Pallas Grean. The abbey's location, as given by Dineley, was two miles from Pallas and two and a half miles from Hospital. This would place it in the parish of Aglishcormick, also known as Liscormick or Liscormuck which belonged to the Deanery of Grean, just north of present-day Milltown. There was a glebe there, and a graveyard where the church once stood. Having examined this parish for the Ordnance Survey, a Mr. O'Keeffe noted that 'A spot of untilled ground surrounded by cultivated fields in the townland of Milltown (Hib. Baile Mhuilinn) on the north side of the road from Kilteely to Limerick, is pointed out by the people as the site of an old Abbey'. No conclusive traces were visible at the time of O'Keeffe's investigation c. 1840. He took this vanished abbey to be the Carmelite Milltown Abbey in Archdall's Monasticon Hibernicum (Vol. II, p. 432). This would be the Carmelite settlement identified as L1024-062 in the National Monuments Archaeological Survey.
Sources:
John O'Donovan and Michael O'Flanagan, Letters Containing Information Relative to the Antiquities of the Counties [of Ireland], vol. 13, issue 2 (Ordnance Survey, 1929), pp. 40-43.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record L1024-062. Accessed 2.11.2014.

Inscribed in Image

  • Text within boundaries of image – Miltown Abbey Ruines.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture
Geographical Location
  • Milltown Abbey - Named locality
  • Limerick - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Archaeological sites, Birds, Buildings, Churches, Hills, Ruins
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 9.3 cm x 6 cm
Published / created 1681
Closely related image:

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 118
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

This Abbey was in ancient times a Monastery of Carthusians. [p. 119] [image: Monument in Miltown Abbey] It hath nothing besides its Ruines but the Remaines of a monumt against the wall, sd to belong to the Morines. from Miltown Abbey to a fair Seate called the Hospitall is two miles & half. This Hospitall belongs to Thomas Brown Esqr a very worthy Gentleman, adjoining to which is an ancient parochial Church with two monuments of Knights Templars in Grey marble. From the Hospitall to Emly Cathedral is two miles. [pp. 118-119]
Miltown Abbey Ruines