Sketch of a memorial monument to the Morines [Mulryans] in Miltown Abbey.
The abbey is no longer extant. It appears almost certain that the Milltown in question is the townland which lies south-west of Pallas Grean. The abbey's location, as given by Dineley, was two miles from Pallas and two and a half miles from Hospital. This would place it in the parish of Aglishcormick, also known as Liscormick or Liscormuck which belonged to the Deanery of Grean, just north of present-day Milltown. There was a glebe there, and a graveyard where the church once stood. Having examined this parish for the Ordnance Survey, a Mr. O'Keeffe noted that 'A spot of untilled ground surrounded by cultivated fields in the townland of Milltown (Hib. Baile Mhuilinn) on the north side of the road from Kilteely to Limerick, is pointed out by the people as the site of an old Abbey'. No conclusive traces were visible at the time of O'Keeffe's investigation c. 1840. He took this vanished abbey to be the Carmelite Milltown Abbey in Archdall's Monasticon Hibernicum (vol. II, p. 432). This would be the Carmelite settlement identified as L1024-062 in the National Monuments Archaeological Survey.
John O'Donovan and Michael O'Flanagan, Letters Containing Information Relative to the Antiquities of the Counties [of Ireland], vol. 13, issue 2 (Ordnance Survey, 1929), pp. 40-43.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record L1024-062. Accessed 2.11.2014.
Inscribed in Image
|Genre||Scientific or Technical illustration|
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture|
|Keywords(s)||Inscriptions, Monuments & memorials|
|Dimensions||8 cm x 6.4 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Closely related image:|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 119|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|The Abbey was in ancient times a Monastery of Carthusians.
[image: Monument in Miltown Abbey]
It hath nothing besides its ruins but the Remaines of a monumt against the wall, sd to belong to the Morines. [pp. 118-119]