Imolachum or Emly

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

View of the ruins of Emly Cathedral. Part of the roof is still intact, and large ornate windows face the viewer. The drawing is surrounded by an oval border.

The National Monuments Archaeological Survey notes that, according to M. O'Flanagan, in the Ordnance Survey letters, the early cathedral was on the site of the present cathedral. However, other references and the OS 6-inch maps indicate that the pre-1700 cathedral was situated on the west side of the present graveyard.

Sources:
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record TS065-013002. Accessed 08.12.2014.
M. O'Flanagan (compiler), Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the county of Tipperary collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1840, vol. 3 (Dublin: Ordnance Survey, 1930), pp. 39-60.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption within boundaries of image – Imolachum or Emly

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture
Geographical Location
  • Old Cathedral, Emly - Named locality
  • Tipperary - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Archaeological sites, Birds, Buildings, Churches, Ruins
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 9.2 cm x 6.1 cm
Published / created 1681
Closely related image:

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 119
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland.

Related text from travel account

From the Hospitall to Emly Cathedrall is two miles.
[image: Imolachum or Emly]
EMLEY was an ancient Cathedrall sayd to be the metropolitane of the Province of Munster, and so taken notice of by Bishop Usher & Ware the antiquary, though now it hath no Bishop, but as united to the Archbishoprick of Cashell & its Cathedrall at 12 miles distant. [p. 119]
Imolachum or Emly