View of Cahir Castle across the River Suir. The castle stands on an island on the river, connected by a bridge to the bank closest to the viewer, and by further bridges to an islet and the land on the far side. There is a saddled horse in the foreground, on the left-hand side, represented on a fragment of printed plate pasted upon the drawing. Cultivated land, hills and a mountain lie in the background. The image is enclosed by a circular border.
It has been noted that this view and part of the related text is derived from Sir Thomas Stafford’s Pacata Hibernia (1633). The military encampment and details of the countryside on the near side of the river, which featured in Dineley’s source, are omitted in his depiction.
Evelyn Philip Shirley, et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire, giving some account of his visit to Ireland in the reign of Charles II (Continued)’, The Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, vol. 6, no. 1, 1867, p. 80.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Bridges, Buildings, Cabins, Castles, Cottages, Horses, Islands, Mills, Mountains, Rivers, Towers|
|Dimensions||11.3 cm x 11 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 164|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
In the Province of Mounster and which I have touched off on the other side, was taken for Q. Eliz of blessed memory by R. Devoreaux E. of Essex then Lrd Deputy, Anno Dni 1599, being his onely remarkeable action towards the subdueing of the Rebells of Mounster, wch Province was then look’t upon to be the Key of the Kingdome for its cities & Towns wall’d which are more numerous than in ye rest of Ireland, besides the Fertility thereof as reckon’d the Garden of this Isle, & the convenient Harbours lying open to Spain and France. When ye Earle of Essex took Cahir Castle he received the Lord of Cahir [blank] the Lord Roche and some others into the Protection of the Queen Who upon turning of his back for England both openly and secretly became Rebells again. The 8th of May 1600 it was kept by Sr John Dowdall under the President Carew with a ward out of Sr George Blounts souldiers upon ye 23d of the same month it was surprized by James Galdie als Butler brother to the Lord of Cahir.
James Galdie took it after this manner with threescore men coming undiscovered to the Wall of the Bawne of Cahir castle with Masons and Pioneers broke holes in the weakest part of the Wall, gott in and enterred the Hall before they were perceived, yett some resistance was made by Thomas Quayle a serjeant who was wounded: Three of the Castle guard were slayne & the rest render’d their arms upon promise of life onely and were sent to Clonmell in ye county Palatine of Tipperary where they were imprisoned until the President had time to trye them by a Court Marshall.
[p. 164] In this castle when [?] taken great Ordnance a Cannon and Culverin left there by the Earle of Essex when he took it which was anno Dom 1599. [pp. 163-164]