View of islands in the Shannon estuary belonging to the Earl of Thomond, looking south from Paradise Hill and Ballynagard on the mainland. They include Coney Island, Inishmore or Deer Island, Low Island [Inishloe], Cannons Island [Canon Island], Enis Mac Ony [Inishmacowney], Enish Sherkey [Shore Island], Enish Terbud [Innishtubbrid], Enish Kirke [Inishcorker], Little Island [Inishbeg]. Also shown are two landmark buildings, Fort Fergus and Croverhane [Crovraghan] Castle, as well as other structures such as the ruined abbey on Canon Island and houses on Deer Island. A few ships have been dotted around the estuary. Further embellishments include a bird of prey in the sky and, on the mainland, a hound with a collar and a deer with antlers. The bird and the deer are represented on fragments of printed plate pasted upon the drawing.
The viewpoint is probably at or near Paradise, which was originally a seventeenth-century house in the townland of Ballynagard, now a ruin. The estate was later associated with the Henn family, who were granted lands in Co. Clare by the Earl of Thomond in 1685.
Archaeological Survey, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record CL050-038. Accessed 11.12.2014.
Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, vol. 1 (London: Harrison, 1875).
Landed Estates Database, Moore Institute, NUI Galway, at landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/, Henn family. Accessed 11.12.2014.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Wash drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Marines, Nature|
|Keywords(s)||Bays (Bodies of water), Birds, Boats, Buildings, Castles, Cliffs, Deer, Dogs, Islands, Rabbits, Ruins, Seas, Ships, Towers, Trees|
|Dimensions||14 cm x 9.5 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 170|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|ISLANDS Parcel of Lands belonging to the
Rt Honble Henry Earle of THOMOND
touched off from Paradise hill.
Ennish Macony. is at present the Interest of the Officers of the 1649 security This Island is in the county of Thomond and Barony of [blank]
Cony Island took its name from the great number of Rabbits and Coneys there, in it is seen the ruines of an ancient Chappel without monument or Inscripcon.
Coverhane Castle was the seate and abode of Henry the first Earle of Thomond during the life of his Father the great Donnagh O Brien Earle of Thomond
Islands belonging to ye Rt Honble
Henry Earle of THOMOND
Deer Island In the county of Clare and Barony of Clonderala and Parish of Kilchrist heretofore called Innish moor. Innish chirkey an Island 257 acres profitable parish of Kildicert in Clonderala Barony county of Clare.
Deer Islands Lodge is built out of the ruines of a Church or Chappel among memorable accidents here wrote upon the door of the bedchamber of the Rt Honble Henry Earle of Thomond are these with these dates.
MDCLIV This Hare was then cropt & turn’d into Deer Island and in MDCLXXIII ye sayd Earle kill’d her. and ANNO M DCLXXII a Buck was kill’d there weighing 16 stone and two pounds.
[image: Islands belonging to the Earl of Thomond]
Cannon Island in the county of Thomond als Clare and Barony of [blank] in it are seen the Ruines of an ancient Abby of Regular Cannon[s] of the Rule of St Austin, whence it took its name of Cannon Island which [in] Irish is Illean ne Cannanagh. [pp. 169-170]