Halebolin Fort

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

View of Haulbowline Fort on Haulbowline Island in the estuary of the River Lee, here referred to as the Cork River. A central tower is surrounded by bastioned walls, forming a starfort within a polygonal ditch. The main features of the plan are indicated by letters spelling ‘THOMAS DINELEY X’ and detailed in an accompanying key. Among them are a well, to the right of the fort, with a shoreline battery to the north. On the river nearby there is a ship, represented on a fragment of printed plate pasted upon the drawing. The cardinal points are indicated by a compass rose within the illustration, which is enclosed in a circular border.

The fort was abandoned by 1624 and was in serious disrepair when Dineley copied this plan 'from a draught' made in 1601. His source for this and several other images was Sir Thomas Stafford’s Pacata Hibernia (1633).

Sources:
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/, record no. CO087-059003-. Accessed 3.1.2017.
Eric Klingelhofer, Castles and colonists: an archaeology of Elizabethan Ireland (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2010).
Evelyn Philip Shirley et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire’, Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, vol. 6, 2nd series (1867), p. 194.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption within boundaries of image – Halebolin Fort
  • Text within boundaries of image – Cork River / Cork River / Cork River / A steep descent from ye fort to the Platform.
  • Text outside of boundaries of image – The State and Condition of Her Maties Fort of Halebolin anno 1601. Taken from a draught.

    T A Platform for 5 or 6 Cannon
    H A mount looking into the lower Platform.
    O The Gate house
    M The Bastions and Curtins of the Fort.
    A The Ditch
    S The Spring and Well of Fresh water.
    D The Guard house
    I Lodgings for the chief Warders
    N The Gunners house
    E Cork river
    L The place where ships of Burthen may ride
    E Y } The river encompassing the Isle.
    X A Tower of Grey stone of 22 foot square within the walls, whose entrance is by steps of ascent and a drawbridge.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications
Geographical Location
  • Haulbowline - Island
  • Cork - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Archaeological sites, Buildings, Cannons, Castles, Islands, Rivers, Ships, Towers, Wells
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 11.2 cm x 11 cm
Published / created 1681

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 181
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

HALBOLIN the remains whereof are yett to be seen was scituate in an Island of the same name in the river of Cork six miles and half from that capital city, this fort was erected by Paul Ive an ingineer to command the river and shipping, directed so to do by Sir Sr George Carew Lord President of Mounster January 15 1601 for the Queen, at the same time was also erected Castle ny Parke to defend the Haven of Kinsale. [p. 180]
Halebolin Fort