View of Clare Castle. The building is partially surrounded by the River Fergus and connected to the opposite bank by two multi-arched bridges. Three fragments of printed plates are pasted in the foreground, depicting a horse, a troop of soldiers with lances and pennants, and a skirmish.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Bridges, Buildings, Castles, Horses, Men, People, Rivers, Soldiers|
|Dimensions||8 cm x 6.3 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 189|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|This Castle and the lands belonging thereto are part of the Estate of Henry Earle of Thomond Governor of this County whose Deputy Gouvernor George Stammers Esqr now High Sheriff 1681 holds it of the sd Earle.
It was founded by Lionel Duke of Clarence, sirnamed Antwerpe the chief city of Flanders & the Marquisate of the Holy Empire where he was borne, 3d son of Ed. 3. Earle of Ulster & Lord of Connaught, the first who came over under the title of Lord Lieutenant of ye Kingdome of IRELAND in the year 1361. and in the Reigne of his Royall Father Edward the 3d. he died in the year 1368 and lieth buried by his fyrst wife Elizabeth daughter and heire of William de Burgh Earle of Ulster in the Chancell of the Priory Church of Augustines in Clare in the county of Suffolk.
The Lord Ireton and Sr Charles Coot in the year 1651 besieged and took this Castle of Clare and the most considerable pass in the Countrey whence they sent a summons to the City of Galloway. [p. 189]