Glyn Castle

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

A bird’s-eye view of Glin Castle, Co. Limerick. The castle is depicted as a tower house surrounded by turreted walls and a river. In the foreground are pasted two fragments of printed plate, one representing a tree and the other a soldier, coloured red, beside two cannons. Another cannon is sketched to the left of the castle, beside a long trench. There is a mill by the river, in the top left of the image, and rows of houses are seen across the river from the castle, with further siegeworks. Letters within the image highlight key features which are identified in the accompanying index; they spell ‘THOMAS DINGL’. The image is enclosed in a circular border.

Dineley’s text acknowledges that this view is copied from another ‘draught’; it has been noted that his source is Sir Thomas Stafford’s Pacata Hibernia (1633), from which part of the related text is also derived. Present-day Glin Castle, constructed in the late eighteenth century, lies west of the site of the castle described by Dineley, a remnant of which can be seen in the village of Glin, beside the Glencorbry river where it flows into the Shannon.

Sources:
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record no. LI017-022001-. Accessed 3.1.2018.
Michael Morris Killanin and Michael Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland (London: Ebury Press, 1967), p. 297.
Ordnance Survey map of Co. Limerick, 1844.
Evelyn Philip Shirley, et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire’, Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, vol. 6, 2nd series (1867), p. 188.

Inscribed in Image

  • Caption within boundaries of image – Glyn Castle
  • Text outside of boundaries of image – T The high way by which the Lord president Carew marched to ye siege of the Castle / H The Tower of ye castle which castle is 98 foot broad and 105 long / O The barricade before the gate / M The Entrance into the great hall / A The going from ye Hall to ye Castle / S A lake whence it battered from the Flanker / D The Battlements of ye castle / I The Town wch was burnt by ye Rebells at the approach of ye Queens army / N The Key where ye boats lay / G The Queens Trenches / L The Mill

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications
Geographical Location
  • Glin Castle - Castle
  • Limerick - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Archaeological sites, Boats, Buildings, Cannons, Castles, Houses, Islands, Men, Mills, People, Rivers, Soldiers, Trees
Colour Handcoloured
Dimensions 10.7 cm x 10.7 cm
Published / created 1681
Closely related image:

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 196
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

GLYN CASTLE marked above with the Letter T is next to be considered and whose state as it was, when it was taken by Sr George Carew under Queen Elizabeth 8 July 1600 I have sett down from another draught on ye other side
[p. 196] [image: Glyn Castle]
GLYN-CASTLE in the county of Limerick, now viz 1681. in the hands of Major Fitz Gerald, is distant from Ballintare 5 miles. In Queen Elizabeths dayes viz 5 July 1600 was besieged. Captain Gawen Harvey lay at Anchor before it 5 July 1600. Cannon were brought by water from Limerick by the Earle of Thomond when they intrenched before ye castle between it and ye Shannon River. The 6th of July 1600 a Demy Cannon and Sacre were posted so as to do Execucon agst the Castle, without ye loss of a man on ye besiegers side, by reason of a Parley for that end (as a blinde) enterteined.
The Constable of the castle 7nth July, as a Thomond man borne and natural follower of ye Earle of Thomond, propos’d something for ye Earle safety, which ye Earle mock’t at, advizing him to deliver up the Castle to ye Queen, which ye President of Munster hearing, sent him this last word, that since he had refused that noble Earles offer, that he was in hope before 2 dayes, to have his head from his shoulder which fell out.
[…]
[p. 193] In this seige July the 8 a Cannon happened to be cloy'd, which by the President of Mounster Carews advice, was thus cleer’d, and which may serve for Instruction of all Souldiers upon the like occasion. he commanded that the Peice as it was should be abased at the tayle and the muzzle mounted as high as they could: the Gunner to give her a full charge of powder wth a shot after it, then to give fire at ye mouth thereof, by which the Touch hole was presently cleer’d.
[Image: altar tomb of Thomas Power, A.D. 1622]
Remarkeable also at this seige that the President having the Knight of the Valley's eldest son & heire of this castle a child of 6 years of age in his possession to affrighten the castle guard he caused the child to be sett upon one of the Tops of the Gabions sending them word that they should have a fair mark to bestow their small shott upon. To which the Constable answer'd in unbecoming terms thus. the place is open where he was born and the Knt of the Valley may have more sonnes. But the President (intending no such cruelty as knowing that ye report of the Cannon would would [sic] have shaken the childs Limbs in peices) caused him to be taken down & then began the Battery. After which a breach was made & it assaulted by Captain Flower; A Sally was made by the Castle Guard Rebells, the constable slayne, and his head mounted on a stake 9 July, 1600. The castle was wonn some of the rebells were putt to the sword & others leap'd off the Battlements of the Castle into the water underneath it.
This Castle upon the Shannon most of the time of the Rebellion had in it one Anthony Arthur one of the great merchants of that name, as a Generall factor of the city to vent merchandize & comodities to the Rebells.
Five miles distant from this castle is the Castle of Carigfoile.
The command of this castle of Glyn for Queen Elizabeth was given in charge anno 1600 to Captain Nicholas Mordant. [pp. 195-196, 193]
Glyn Castle