View of Ballynagarde Castle, south of Ballyneety, Co. Limerick. The castle consists of a tower house, with pitched roof and chimney, and adjoining mansarded buildings. The image is enclosed in an oval frame.
This castle is no longer extant. Its site is located just east of the ruins of Ballynagarde House, an 18th-century mansion built by the Croker family.
Archaeological Survey, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record LI022-051001. Accessed 14.12.2014.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Birds, Buildings, Castles, Towers, Trees|
|Dimensions||8 cm x 6.2 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 207|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
Remarkeable here is that one Mrs Bourke to be contracted to a person for whom she had no fancy the night before the intended solemnity she leap’d out of the window of this castle marked a of about 16 yards high without hurt & ran away. And afterwards marryed to the same man she so avoyded and lived happily with him
[p. 207] [image: Ballinegarde Castle]
Ballinegarde Castle is 4 miles distant from the City of Limerick in the hands of John Croker Esqr one of his Maties Justices of the Peace for the county of Limerick, & one of the greatest Corne merchants in the sayd County.
This Castle and Estate is the jointure of the widdow to Coll Randolph Clayton.
A mile and half from hence are seen the Ruines of Schuille Castle sd to be built by King John, the lands whereof belong to Sr George Ingoldsby. herein lived in the yeer 1673, or near it, [p. 208] in a certein Cabbin, being serjeant viz a bayliffe to the sayd Mr Croker one David Brown who voyded a flattish Worm of above twenty and four foot long.
Six miles from Limerick and seven miles from Ballinegard is the Town of
ADARE […] [pp. 206-208]