View of the church and castle at Caherconlish, located six miles from Limerick on the road to Cashel. The roofless church and adjacent chancel are encircled by walls with an opening to the right. A tower house stands between the viewer and the church walls, on the left-hand side of the image. The drawing is enclosed within an oval frame.
The medieval church was altered in the nineteenth century. Now ruined, it is surrounded by a graveyard. Four castles are recorded in Caherconlish, none are extant. Given that the church’s altar would be to the east, the tower house seen here was located to the south-west of the ecclesiastical site.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record LI014-079005. Accessed 2.11.2014.
The Urban Archaeological Survey of County Limerick, compiled by John Bradley, Andrew Halpin and Heather A. King (Dublin: Office of Public Works, 1985).
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Buildings, Castles, Churches, Ruins, Towers|
|Dimensions||8.5 cm x 7 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Closely related image:|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 209|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|From Limerick by Abby Owhny to Carigkenlish is 6 miles. [Images: monuments in church and transcription of inscriptions]
[p. 210]. [Image: monument in church and transcription of inscription]
From Carickenlish to Craigowhny or Cragg Owhny, in the county of Tiperary is 6 miles