Bird’s-eye view of Carrigafoyle Castle, Co. Kerry, and surrounding countryside. The castle, surrounded by two curtain walls, stands on an island in an inlet of the Shannon. Its military status is emphasized by several elements: a cannon on the left bank, trained on the castle, tents in the left foreground, and a fragment of plate pasted upon the drawing, representing a troop of soldiers with lances. Red colour has been applied to the soldiers. The image is enclosed within a circular border which slightly overflows the page’s ruled margins. Lettering, arranged to spell THOMAS D, marks salient features of the scene; these are identified in a key beneath the image. A compass rose indicates that the perspective is south to north.
It has been noted that Dineley copied this image from Sir Thomas Stafford’s Pacata Hibernia (1633). Part of the accompanying text is taken verbatim from the same work. In Dineley's version some of the artillery in the original has been omitted, as have three galleons outside the mouth of the inlet. Dineley indicates them by the letter S, and may have intended to paste representations of them there, as in his depiction of the harbour of Kinsale.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/, record no. KE002-045----. Accessed 3.1.2018.
Evelyn Philip Shirley, et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire’, Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, vol. 6, 2nd series (1867), p. 202.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Agriculture, Antiquities and archaeological sites, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Bays (Bodies of water), Buildings, Cannons, Castles, Islands, Men, People, Rivers, Soldiers, Towers, Trees|
|Dimensions||10.7 cm x 10.7 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 241|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
Five miles distant from the Glinn, stood out against Queen Elizabeth anno 1600. as it also did before anno 1580 and was won by Sr William Pelham then Ld Justice of this Kingdom, under whom at that time there serv’d as a Captn of Foot George Carew afterwards Sr George Carew Lord President of Mounster, then George Lord Carew Earle of Totness General of the Ordinance & of her Maties most honble Privy Counsell.
This Castle was surrendered by O Conner Kerry and by the afore mentioned president anno 1600 put into the hands of Sr Charles Wilmot. At which time the Earle of Thomond, out of his affection for her Majties service gave unto John O Conner during the warrs another Castle and thirteen Plowlands, for himself and Tenants to live upon in the county of Clare, nevertheless upon ye landing of the Spanyards, this perfidious traytor relapsed.
When the Lord President had sate down before this castle and invested it viz 2. Aug 1600, Patrick Lord Fitz Maurice a stubborn Rebell then living, when he saw his chief seat the Castle of LIXNAW and that of RATHOWINE and TRALEE taken by surprize by Sr Charles Wilmot, he himselfe broke and defaced his castle of Beau-lieu seated upon the river Shannon and two miles distant from the following castle of Carrigfoyle. [p. 241]
The Condition of Carrigfoyle Castle Anno 1580 when it was taken by Sr Wm Pelham Knt Lord Justice of Ireland on Palm Sunday and the manner how ye cannon were planted for its battery taken from a draught. [pp. 240-241]