Pictorial map of Dunboin [Dunboy] Castle, situated on a promontory at Bearhaven, in Bantry Bay, Co. Cork. Further down, on the right, a second castle, identified by the author as Dermond Castle [Castle Dhermod], is located on the shore, facing ‘an island’ [Dinish Island], beyond which lies Bear Island. Fragments of printed plate representing a galleon and a smaller sailing boat are pasted upon the image.
This map is a copy of part of an illustration in Sir Thomas Stafford’s Pacata Hibernia (1633), without the encampments and other military and naval details of the original. A related image by Dineley (‘Dunboy Castle’), copied from a different plate in Pacata Hibernia, shows part of this scene in reverse perspective, that is, viewed from west to east, rather than east to west as it is here.
Archaeological Survey of Ireland, at http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, record nos CO128-001002-, CO115-021-. Accessed 6.11.2014.
Eric Klingelhofer, Castles and colonists: an archaeology of Elizabethan Ireland (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2010).
Evelyn Philip Shirley et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley’, The Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, New series, vol. 5, no. 1 (1864), pp. 41, 47-48.
Inscribed in Image
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Forts and fortifications, Nature|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Bays (Bodies of water), Buildings, Castles, Flags, Harbours, Islands, Lands, Ships, Towers, Trees|
|Dimensions||11.8 cm x 17.4 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Closely related image:|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 279|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|BEAR-HAVEN is scituate twelve miles to the Northward of a promontory or Foreland commonly [tilde on m] called Missenhead or Caronhead, that which is properly the Haven is the sea which cometh between the great Island and the main or countrey called Bear or OSullevan Bears countrey. At the Entrance into the harbour it is not above the shot of a musquet over (viz) from Dunboyne castle to the great Island - Being entered the tides are slack, good anchorage and convenient places to bring ships on ground, smooth water, At low water mark it is five fadoms deep; towards the north end it groweth much larger, a league over and large enough to lett all the men of Warr of England Holland & France ride therein safe, nay I may say of the whole World.
The great Island seven miles long & the maine form ye Haven which at its south end joins with the bay of BANTRY.
When that famous Castle of Dunboyne belonging to OSulevan Beare was tenable and fitt to offend and defend, it had the command of this admirable Haven.
The Fishery here in ye Reigne of Queen Elizabeth viz anno Domini 1588 was worth to ye Lord of the Haven (afterwards Rebell) OSulevan Bear who was likewise owner of the castle Dunboyne) 500l sterling p. annum paying but small dutyes to him. The coast so abounds in Fish, that few places known exceed it. [p. 278]