The Harbour of Kinsale

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

Bird’s-eye view of the Harbour of Kinsale. Three fragments of printed plate representing ships are pasted at the top of the drawing, near the mouth of the bay. Further in along the bay is Kinsale, walled and with a cross standing in the centre of the town. The surrounding hills are lightly wooded. A castle stands by an inlet between the town and the sea. Within the image, a compass rose indicates the cardinal points. The textual description of Kinsale partially overwrites the image on the right, and in places is separated from it by double vertical red lines.
Image and text are both derived from Sir Thomas Stafford, Pacata Hibernia (1633).
Source:
Evelyn Philip Shirley, et al., ‘Extracts from the Journal of Thomas Dineley, Esquire (Continued)’, The Journal of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society, vol. 5, no. 2, 1865, p. 269.

Inscribed in Image

  • Text within boundaries of image – The Harbour of Kinsale / OYSTER HAVEN

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Collages, Engravings, Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Cities and towns, Forts and fortifications, Marines, Nature
Geographical Location
  • Kinsale - Town or city
  • Cork - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Bays (Bodies of water), Buildings, Castles, Crosses, Hills, Houses, Lands, Seas, Ships, Towers, Trees
Colour Handcoloured
Dimensions 15 cm x 19.5 cm
Published / created 1681

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 293
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Related text from travel account

Kinsale hath been a fatal place to the Spanyards before ye reign of Q. Eliz. as well as then, reported by Walsingham who lived in those dayes & taken notice of by Hollingshed that (anno 1380 and 4to Hen. 2nd) while the Earl of Bucks was passing through the realm of France the French & Spanish Gallies did much mischief on the coast of England, but about ye latter end of June, by a fleet of English of ye West, part of ym were forc’d to retire & take harbour in an haven in Ireland call’d Kinsale, where being assail’d by the English and Irish they were vanquisht, so that to the number of 400 were slayn & their chief captains taken &c four of their Barges with a Ballenger [balinger] & 21 English Vessels recovered.
After ye failour again of this Town viz 1602 the ensigns of magistracy were ridilivered to it by Carew president of Mounster viz unto the Burgesses their Charter &c amongst which there was a fair large standard of Damask carying the Arms of England which was first delivered to them in Henry ye 8ths time by Sr George Carew cousin German to ye president of Mounster of ye name who not long before ye seige of Bollogne was Admiral of some of that Kings Ships. In Sr George Carews hands it was left when ye Spanrds arrived there, and the rarity is this, that by the same Sr G Carew by the command of Queen Eliz it was deliver’d unto those of Kinsale again. [p. 293]
The Harbour of Kinsale