[Mill]

Artist(s) : Thomas Dineley (Draughtsman)

Pen and ink sketch of a mill. The building has a pitched roof, and the drawing affords a view of the cogwheels and machinery within, as well as the water-powered waterwheel and vertical mill stones.
Although not identified in the text, this is almost certainly a depiction of the oil mill at Ballintlea. The location of ‘the wood of the Oyl Mill’ is shown in Dineley’s drawing of Mount Ivers which follows five pages later (p. 152). The original mill, established in 1664, was located a mile south of Sixmilebridge, on the Owenogarney or Ratty river, at the highest point to which ordinary tides flow. It was rebuilt and further developed in 1696. Part of these late seventeenth-century structures can still be seen, along with other later features. The Clare County Library website provides an account of the surviving buildings and their history.

Source:
William Gerrard Ryan, A survey of monuments of archaeological and historical interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare (M.A. thesis, University College Cork, 1980), chap. 47, at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/archaeology/ryan/. Accessed 1.11.2014.

Image Details

Genre Scientific or Technical illustration
Technique Pen and ink drawings
Subject(s) Agriculture, Architecture, Rural life
Geographical Location
  • Oil Mills, Ballintlea - Named locality
  • Clare - County
  • Munster - Province
Keywords(s) Industrial buildings, Milling machines, Mills
Colour Monochrome
Dimensions 8.8 cm x 7.6 cm
Published / created 1681
Closely related image:

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Manuscript
Location of image in copy p. 147
Source copy National Library of Ireland MS 392
Permalink
Rights Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland
Mill