Pen and ink sketch of a sepulchral monument in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin. It portrays a male figure with long hair, wearing a mitre and vestments, including a pallium, and bearing a pastoral staff, his right hand raised in blessing.
The person commemorated is taken to be Archbishop John de St Paul (d. 1362), known to have been buried in Christ Church under a marble stone with a brass figure, on the second step of the high altar. The identification of this sketch with that monument is made mainly on the basis of the text around the edge and a description by Ware in 1665. The incompleteness of the inscription transcribed by Dineley suggests that the brass was already damaged in 1681.
Information communicated by Stuart Kinsella, Archivist, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, 22.10.2014.
Hugh Jackson Lawlor, ‘The monuments of the pre-Reformation Archbishops of Dublin’, The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, series 6, vol. VII, vol. XLVII, part 2 (31 Dec. 1917), pp. 109-138, here pp. 114-116.
Inscribed in Image
|Genre||Scientific or Technical illustration|
|Technique||Pen and ink drawings|
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites|
|Keywords(s)||Brass, Inscriptions, Men, People, Sculpture, Tombs & sepulchral monuments|
|Dimensions||11.8 cm x 5.8 cm|
|Published / created||1681|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||p. 34|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|