Printed plate on sheet bound within volume, representing the south prospect of Bunratty Castle. The Owenogarney or Ratty river is to the right, carrying two large ships. Further upriver, on the left bank, stands a tower house. The foreground is undulating, with trees and pastoral figures.
This is a copy of a drawing by Dineley. As the manuscript note attests, it has been derived from his account of his travels in Wales, which appeared in print in 1864, as An Account of the Progress of His Grace Henry the First Duke of Beaufort, through Wales, 1684. And Notitia Cambro-Britannica. The copy was then inserted into this volume. In the original manuscript, beside the title ‘The South side of BUNRATTY Castle’, there is written the following reference in Dineley’s handwriting: ‘T Rossmonaher Castle belonging to Mr de Starr’ (p. 170). This would have referred to a T in the original image, marking the Rossmanagher tower house further up the river.
Charles Baker (ed.), An Account of the Progress of His Grace Henry the First Duke of Beaufort through Wales, 1684. And Notitia Cambro-Britannica. By T. Dineley (Printed for private circulation, 1864).
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Antiquities and archaeological sites, Architecture, Forts and fortifications|
|Keywords(s)||Archaeological sites, Buildings, Castles, Men, People, Rivers, Ruins, Towers, Trees|
|Dimensions||8.1 cm x 8.1 cm|
|Published / created||1864|
|Travel Account||Observations in a Voyage through the Kingdom of Ireland|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||opp. p. 170|
|Source copy||National Library of Ireland MS 392|
|Rights||Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland|
Related text from travel account
|This is the Principall seat of the most noble Family of the O Briens Earles of THOMOND adjoining to a very fair park with deer;
This whole County being a Peninsula and a kind of Parke all over environ’d with the Shannon River and the sea except a narrow neck in the county of Galloway, abounding with Staggs & fallow-Deer.
[image: The North Prospect of Bunratty Castle from the Parke belonging to ye sd Castle]
BARONY of IBRICHAM and in the Barony of CORCUMRO in this County of CLARE, both which Baronyes belong to the Rt Honble. Henry Earle of Thomond it is sayd that no Mouse or Ratt Will live by any meanes 24 hours: and it is likewise given out that a clod or piece of the Earth of either of those Baronyes is a sufficient Antidote and preservative placed in any other House or Castle in this Kingdome against these Vermine.
[p. 174] Over against Bunratty Castle on the other side of the Shannon is a fair Castle called Carrig o Gunnel scituate upon an hill belonging to his Royall Highness, rented by the present Primate and Chancellour of all Ireland, neer which in a marle pitt was lately taken up the Skeleton of a monstrous man whose thigh bone was seven foot long and all other pts proportionable, whose skull could conteine two Bushells which is half a Bristoll Barrel of Grayne. [pp. 172-174]