View of Drogheda from the river bank. Tall buildings, a church and castle. Ships moored in the harbour and smaller boats by the shore. Wooded hills in the background.
|Subject(s)||Cities and towns|
|Keywords(s)||Boats, Castles, Churches, Rivers, Ships|
|Dimensions||31.5 cm x 21.5 cm|
|Published / created||1774|
|Travel Account||Journal and sketchbook, Ireland (1774)|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||PD/435 [image 20]|
|Source copy||Formerly in Cornwall Record Office. PD/470-473, PD/435|
|Rights||Private collection. No reproduction authorized.|
Related text from travel account
|Drogheda is a good old town pleasantly situated upon the banks of the Boyne which empties itself into the sea not far beyond it.
The walls round the Town are of curious construction the battlements being supported by large arches, which give them a light & picturesque appearance. The Gateways retain the appearance of their former strength.
Walls of Drogheda [small sketch of battlements supported by arches]
On the opposite hill to the town are the walls of an old castle which commands the town where the Barracks are for the soldiery.
The Town is open and airy the large street in particular is wide and not ill built.
In diff. parts of the Town are several good houses. The publick buildings are many of them handsome viz. the Tholsel – the Great Church, the Custom house &c. Over the Boyne is an old Bridge of 3 large arches.
We met here with a shellfish calld Crawls which I never remember to have seen but at Venice they are there calld Carnotti. Ships of 150 tons can come up close to the Bridge.
There are the remains of several old Abbies in the Town & near it.
Mr Tipping (L
The road from hence to Trim is very pleasant it is chiefly upon the banks of the Boyne.
At two miles distance from Drogheda is an Obelisk erected in memory of the famous battle fought upon the spot which delivered the country from an odious Tyrant & paved the way to the entire restoration of their liberties.