View of Glendalough. Two round towers to the right, one attached to a ruined building. Other buildings in a fold of the valley. An intact church with steeple and a ruined church standing out against a background of lake and mountain.
|Keywords(s)||Buildings, Churches, Lakes & ponds, Mountains, Round towers, Ruins, Steeples, Trees|
|Dimensions||31.5 cm x 21.5 cm|
|Published / created||1774|
|Travel Account||Journal and sketchbook, Ireland (1774)|
|Print or manuscript||Manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||PD/435 [image 27]|
|Source copy||Formerly in Cornwall Record Office. PD/470-473, PD/435|
|Rights||Now in private collection. No reproduction authorized.|
Related text from travel account
|Raithdrum is a small Town not remarkable for any thing: The inn here seems tolerable.
From hence we crossed the mountains to the 7 churches* the remains of which are still very visible in the valley to which it gives name. The Archbishop of Dublin takes part of his title from hence. Glendaloch the name of this see was once superior but now makes only part of the see of Dublin.
One needle tower is still very perfect & near it are the ruins of two churches that are more entire than the rest, except one small chappel which is quite so. - our guide told us this chapple was slated with stone – this last is said to have been built by St Cavan of whom more wonders are told & in all probability believed by the inhabitants of this place than fall to the share of half the saints in the Roman calendar. He is said to have come first into this valley with 3 [? asses] loaded with gold and to have applied to a friar to whom this part of the country belonged for some ground to found a church upon, & to have offered a considerable sum of money for as much ground as the friars goose would fly over – the friar who knew his goose could not fly readily accepted the conditions, but heartily repented when upon the saint’s command the goose mounted on his wings and flew round a great tract of ground in the valley below. Another wonder is that he lived in a cave adjoining to the lake several days merely upon the water of the Lake; which is still held to have considerable virtues, but not that of relieving hunger – at another time he turn’d 3 loves into stone upon an old womans head who had refused to contribute to his wants. The Lake calld St Cavans is a mile in length surrounded by very high mountains. There is another small lake adjoining to this - near this there is a tradition that there was once a large city calld Glendoloch famous for the resort of students from all parts; 1500 of which were murderd at once by the Danes who thus entirely destroyed the seminary.
In our way from hence to Wicklow we passed by the remains of a castle calld St Cavan’s. The road part of it is stoney but not bad. [Unpaginated]