Giant's Causeway, County of Antrim

Artist(s) : H. Warren (Engraver)

View of the Giant's Causeway, Co. Antrim, displaying very regular rock formations. Four figures in the foreground, two on land, two in a small boat by the shore.

Inscribed in Image

  • Signature – H. Warren sculp.
  • Caption outside of boundaries of image – Giants Causeway, County of Antrim.

Image Details

Genre Landscape
Technique Engravings
Subject(s) Marines, Nature
Geographical Location
  • Giant's Causeway - Named locality
  • Antrim - County
  • Ulster - Province
Keywords(s) Birds, Boats, Cliffs, Construction, Headgear, Men, Rock formations, Seas
Colour Monochrome
Published / created 1818

Bibliographical Details

Travel Account The Scientific Tourist through Ireland
Contributor(s)
Print or manuscript Print
Location of image in copy titlepage
Source copy James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway Special Collections, 914.1504 WAL
Permalink
Rights James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway

Related text from travel account

GIANT'S CAUSEWAY, 8 m. w. from Ballycastle, and about 3 m. n. of Bushmills (the general station for tourists)—Is an object not to be described in small limits, being a most singular geological curiosity and one of Nature's most stupendous productions. Dr. Drummond briefly states it to consist of three moles, composed of basaltic columns projecting into the sea from the middle of the semicircular bay of Port Noffer; the longest of which, called the Grand Causeway, extends in a sloping direction from the base of the cliff about 300 feet, when it is lost in the ocean. The pillars of which the Causeway consists have been estimated at 30000; but that is too small a calculation. These are of different dimensions ; 15 to 36 feet in height, and from 15 to 26 inches in diameter, chiefly pentagonal or hexagonal; each consists of joints or pieces concave and convex alternately at the ends. The pillars are a species of basaltes and kind of close grit, vitrifiable, of a dusky hue, contrasting finally with the surrounding verdant scenery, and continued, with interruptions, two miles along the precipitous shore. On the eastern side the Giant's Loom, a colonnade of 36 feet in height; and on the opposite cliff may be seen the Organ, so called from the resemblance to that instrument in the group of columns: also the Giant's Well, Chair, and Theatre, with the King and Parliament. Other objects of curiosity are, —the large rounded masses of irregularly prismatic basalt between the causeways, and the distinct globular concretions at Port Coon, a little to the westward : the curious whyn dyke at the head of the grand causeway: the generally romantic scenery of Port Noffer: then the cave of Port Coon, celebrated for its fine echo, continually resounding to the dash of the waves: the Cave of Dunkerry between Port Coon and the Bushfoot Strand, accessible [next page] accessible only from the ocean, between two mural ridges of jetblack rock, with its lofty dome and sides overspread with a covering of green conserva, suggesting the idea that it might have been scooped out of an emerald ; a crimson zone of marine plants, five or six feet in breadth, surrounds and adorns it ; and its extent has never yet been ascertained, its sides contracting into a narrow cleft where no boat can penetrate, but where the waves are heard rolling to a considerable distance. [‘Antrim’, unpaginated]
Giant's Causeway, County of Antrim