Panoramic view of city from high ground on the North Circular Road. Large single span bridge over the Liffey. Fields and numerous tall buildings. St Patrick's Cathedral in the centre, the Royal Hospital, with tower, to the right.
Inscribed in Image
|Subject(s)||Cities and towns|
|Keywords(s)||Bridges, Churches, Hospitals, Houses, Rivers|
|Published / created||1818|
|Travel Account||The Scientific Tourist through Ireland|
|Print or manuscript|
|Location of image in copy||'Dublin'|
|Source copy||James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway Special Collections, 914.1504 WAL|
|Rights||James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway|
Related text from travel account
|The Bridges are numerous, convenient, and the new ones elegant. Carlisle bridge forms a magnificent junction of the finest streets in the city. Essex bridge, near the Castle, is a miniature of Westminster bridge. Sarah bridge of one arch, 104 feet span, is compared to the Rialto at Venice
[next page] [Image: Dublin from the Circular Road]
[next page] The quays are well built and extensive; but the river is an unpleasant object except at high water.
The Churches are very numerous. […] St. Patrick’s Cathedral is a fine object of ancient ecclesiastical architecture, but surrounded by filth and poverty of the most disgusting kind. It is of various dates, from 1190 down to 1750, when the lofty spire was erected; and part, including the steeple, was re-edified in 1370, after partial destruction by fire. The Virgin’s Chapel is of the year 1271; but the whole is now in such a ruinous state that Sir R.C. Hoare fears its speedy downfall, He recommends the Chapter-house and choir as the best specimens of its architecture. On the right of the altar, see the very curious monument of the Boyle family, rising nearly to the ceiling [sic]; on the opposite side, the tomb of Lord Ranelagh; a tablet to the memory of Dean Swift, and near it one for Stella; another to Sir H. Wallop; and a bust of the celebrated but eccentric George Falkner.
The Hospitals are numerous and well regulated. The principal are, the Blue-coat Hospital at Oxmanton Green, for sons of decayed freemen; Foundling, spacious and airy; Kilmainham, for soldiers, on the plan of Chelsea on a grand [next page] scale; Magdalen, in Leeson-street, with Sunday service; Marine School, on Rogerson’s Quay: Incorporated Society’s Establishment, in Lower Bagot-street, for females educated at public expense, until apprenticed; with many others. [‘Dublin’, unpaginated]